The dependence of the magnetic field strength of current-carrying coils on the distance from the coil along the perpendicular axis is determined and compared to the theoretical curve. In addition, the effect of varying the coil separation on the shape of the magnetic field between the Helmholtz coils is examined.
The magnetic fields of various coils are plotted vs. position as the Magnetic Field Sensor is passed through the coils, guided by a track. The position is recorded by a string attached to the Magnetic Field Sensor that passes over the Rotary Motion Sensor pulley to a hanging mass.
It is particularly interesting to compare the field from Helmholtz coils at the proper separation of the coil radius to the field from coils separated at less than or more than the coil radius. The magnetic field inside a solenoid can be examined in both the radial and axial directions.
PASCO Advantage: Using the PASCO Capstone™ curve fit, the theoretical equation for the magnetic field can be plotted on the same graph.
- Magnetic fields of: single coil Helmholtz coils inside a solenoid
- 1x Helmholtz Coil Base (EM-6715)
- 2x 500-Turn Field Coil (EM-6723A)
- 1x Primary and Secondary Coils (SE-8653A)
- 1x Banana Plug Cord-Red (5 Pack) (SE-9750)
- 1x Banana Plug Cord-Black (5 Pack) (SE-9751)
- 1x Optics Benches (60 cm) (OS-8541)
- 1x Dynamics Track Mount (CI-6692)
- 1x Hooked Mass Set (SE-8759)
- 2x Round Base with Rod (ME-8270)
- 1x Optics Bench Rod Clamp (set of 2) (OS-8479)
- 1x PASPORT 2-Axis Magnetic Field Sensor (PS-2162)
- 1x PASPORT Rotary Motion Sensor (PS-2120A)